The Nsukka Zone of the Academic Staff Union of Universities on Thursday issued a notice to students and parents warning of a potential strike.
Speaking at Benue State University, Makurdi, on Wednesday, Zonal Coordinator Christian Chukwuma Opata criticised the government’s decade-long neglect of ASUU’s concerns.
He said the current administration has yet to act on the renegotiated agreement submitted by the Yayale Ahmed-led committee in February 2025.
“After some preliminary challenges, largely occasioned by the government and its agents, unfortunately, nothing meaningful has been done on the report since then. If the government is deliberately testing our resolve, it is time for us to respond,” Opata said.
He noted that Nigerians have been surprised that ASUU has not embarked on any strike in the past two years, clarifying, “This was not because our agitations were being addressed, but simply our way of showing the public and the global community that we are not strike mongers.”
Opata added, “Having given the government ample time to demonstrate sincerity and seriousness, we have no option but to put them and the public on notice that we may return to the trenches.”
The coordinator listed ASUU’s longstanding grievances, including the gradual erosion of university autonomy, tactical withdrawal from collective bargaining principles, failure to revitalise public universities, non-payment of withheld salaries and promotion arrears, issues with third-party deductions, and the non-implementation of the 25–35% wage increase.
The union also stated that it will no longer attend meetings with government officials unless there is clear evidence of commitment to resolving the issues.
ASUU called on Nigerians and the international community to press the government to address these demands before the situation escalates.