A coalition of young Nigerians from the northern region, under the aegis of the Northern Youth Frontiers, has accused Amnesty International of releasing what it described as misleading and disruptive reports on Nigeria’s security situation.
The group alleged that the human rights organisation’s recent publications on insecurity were “careless, mischievous, and designed to incite chaos.”
In a statement issued on Friday, the National Coordinator of the group, Sama Musa, said the reports presented a distorted picture of Nigeria’s efforts to address its security challenges.
“We believe that the organisation’s recent reports and actions are not only careless but also deliberately mischievous, aimed at inciting chaos and undermining the security and stability of our beloved nation. In recent years, Nigeria has faced a myriad of security challenges, from insurgency in the northeast to banditry in the northwest and conflicts in various regions,” Musa said.
He added that the Federal Government and security forces had been working to restore peace, but argued that Amnesty International’s publications ignored these efforts.
“The Federal Government, alongside our brave security forces, has been working tirelessly to restore peace and order. However, the reports disseminated by Amnesty International portray a distorted image of the situation, often focusing on sensational narratives that lack substantiated evidence.
“This selective reporting not only misleads the international community but also demoralises our troops and emboldens those who seek to destabilise our nation,” he added.
The youth coalition further claimed that Amnesty International’s reporting was agenda-driven and capable of fueling unrest.
“Amnesty International’s approach appears to be driven by an agenda that prioritises sensationalism over accuracy. Their reports often highlight alleged human rights abuses without providing a balanced view of the complexities involved in combating terrorism and insecurity.
“Such one-sided narratives can incite unrest and deepen divisions among our people, ultimately jeopardising the fragile peace we are striving to achieve,” Musa noted.
The group stressed that the reports posed a threat to national security and the morale of security personnel. “The implications of Amnesty International’s careless reporting extend beyond mere misinformation. They threaten to undermine the credibility of our security forces, who are risking their lives daily to protect our citizens.
“By painting our military and law enforcement agencies as weak, Amnesty International not only demotivates our troops but also emboldens criminals and insurgents, who thrive on the perception of weakness and disunity within our ranks,” the statement added.
The group, therefore, called on the Federal Government to investigate Amnesty International’s activities in the country and, if necessary, consider legal restrictions on its operations.
“The Federal Government should conduct a thorough investigation into the activities of Amnesty International within Nigeria.
“This inquiry should assess the motivations behind their reports and the potential impact on national security.
“If deemed necessary, the government should explore legal avenues to restrict the operations of Amnesty International in Nigeria.
“Organisations that deliberately mislead the public and incite chaos should not be allowed to operate unchecked,” the group said.
It also urged the government to counter misinformation through public awareness campaigns.
“We urge the government to launch campaigns to educate the public about the realities of the security situation and the importance of supporting our security forces.
“This will help foster a sense of unity and resilience among our citizens,” Musa said.
PUNCH Online reports that Amnesty International Nigeria, last Friday, issued a report criticising the Federal Government’s inability to protect its citizens and bring the perpetrators of widespread violence to justice. The human rights body said at least 65 people have been killed in horrific attacks in one week, a toll that has left hundreds dead and displaced. https://punchng.com/nigerian-authorities-must-do-more-to-address-insecurity-amnesty/
Part of the report read, “The Nigerian authorities must do more to address the horrifying and increasing threat to the right to life in some parts of the country.
“This week alone, at least 65 people have been killed in horrific attacks. In Katsina state, in an attack on worshippers in a mosque, gunmen killed over 50 people and abducted over 60 people. In Plateau state, over 15 farmers were slaughtered by gunmen in Mangu LGA – and over 200 people were displaced.
“Alarming escalation of attacks, abductions for ransom and frequent killings across Nigeria have left people feeling more unsafe, showing utter failure of the Nigerian authorities to protect lives and properties.”