Sunday, 31 Aug 2025
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Cookies Policy
  • Contact Us
Subscribe
Newsgrasp
  • Home
  • Today’s News
  • World
  • US
  • Nigeria News
  • Politics
  • 🔥
  • Today's News
  • US
  • World
  • Nigeria News
  • Politics
  • Donald Trump
  • Israel
  • President Donald Trump
  • White House
  • President Trump
Font ResizerAa
NewsgraspNewsgrasp
Search
  • Home
  • Today’s News
  • World
  • US
  • Nigeria News
  • Politics
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
2025 © Newsgrasp. All Rights Reserved.
Yahoo news home
PoliticsToday's News

Ontario premier Doug Ford’s party spent nearly $300,000 on novelty ‘Canada is not for sale’ hats

Leyland Cecco in Toronto
Last updated: August 28, 2025 12:29 am
Leyland Cecco in Toronto
Share
SHARE

Dealing with the unprecedented threats from Donald Trump’s threats to Canada’s economy and sovereignty have required unconventional strategies from federal and provincial leaders, including barring liquor sales and cancelling contracts with Tesla.

But among the more unorthodox strategies to hit back against the US is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on novelty hats.

In January, sensing a marketing opportunity after Trump threatened to annex Canada, an Ottawa-based company began selling hats with the message “Canada is not for sale” in capital letters. Days later, Ontario premier Doug Ford – a blunt-spoken, burly populist with a knack for politics – entered a high-stakes meeting with other premiers and the prime minister wearing the hat. The move kicked off a frenzy of online orders and created a rare moment of political consensus.

But Ford’s love of the hat cost the province nearly C$300,000 (US$218,000), according to reporting by the Trillium.

According to newly disclosed public election finance filings, the Progressive Conservative party of Ontario paid C$278,910.71 to Jackpine Dynamic Branding, the company producing the viral hats, during the province’s election campaign period last spring.

The party also transferred more than 600 hats – bought for C$23.19 each before the election – to the campaign, according to the Trillium.

Liam Mooney, who runs Jackpine Dynamic Branding with his fiancée, Emma Cochrane, previously told the Guardian the couple wanted a simple but firm message with the hat. “It was a small act of patriotism to respond to these big threats and this big bluster,” Mooney said.

Their online store, which sold red and navy blue headwear featuring the wording “Strong and Free” and “Canada Is Not For Sale”, as well as “Fort et libre” and “Le Canada n’est pas à vendre”, was quickly overwhelmed with traffic. The couple ended up selling tens of thousands of the hats, which they eventually managed to produce in Canada after weeks of manufacturing headaches.

Ford and campaign surrogates also wore the hat often during the provincial election in February, in which his government won in a rare, third majority mandate.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading...

Related

TAGGED:CanadaDonald TrumpDoug Fordnovelty hatsOntario premierunconventional strategiesunprecedented threats
Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Yahoo news home Texas Tech says ‘false alarm’ of active shooter similar to ‘swatting’ across country
Next Article Yahoo news home New video reveals third strike in deadly ‘double-tap’ attack on Gaza hospital
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your Trusted Source for Accurate and Timely Updates!

Our commitment to accuracy, impartiality, and delivering breaking news as it happens has earned us the trust of a vast audience. Stay ahead with real-time updates on the latest events, trends.
FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
LinkedInFollow
MediumFollow
QuoraFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad image

You Might Also Like

Yahoo news home
Today's NewsUS

North Carolina’s school choice program has room to grow

By David Beasley | The Center Square contributor
Yahoo news home
PoliticsToday's News

The gerrymander wars are just beginning

By David Weigel
Yahoo news home
Today's NewsWorld

Middle Eastern Headlines at 6:05 a.m. GMT

By Newsgrasp
Yahoo news home
Today's NewsUS

Texas Democrat Locked in State Capitol for Refusing Mandatory Escort

By Miranda Jeyaretnam
Newsgrasp
Facebook Twitter Youtube Rss Medium

About US


Newsgrasp Live News: Your instant connection to breaking stories and live updates. Stay informed with our real-time coverage across politics, tech, entertainment, and more. Your reliable source for 24/7 news.

Top Categories
  • Home
  • Today’s News
  • World
  • US
  • Nigeria News
  • Politics
Usefull Links
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise with US
  • Complaint
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer

2025 ©️ Newsgrasp. All Right Reserved 

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

%d